Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Predictions

So as you may have guessed, my predictions were wrong. The great Argentina failed...miserably. There are a few lessons learned here:

1. Don't hire a coach who doesn't know what he's doing.
2. Don't watch the game where the opposing fans might be.

1. Maradona, though one of (if not the) best player of all time, knows how to play soccer. That is it though. He doesn't understand tactics nor the politics that are behind coaching a national soccer team. I'm not an expert as you may have guessed, but come on now. He surrounded himself with Yes-men and never created a game plan. Rather than sub out Otamendi (who will one day be a good player for us at the correct position) he waited untli the 70th minute when Germany scored again to get him out. I mean come on, he was getting burnt left and right bad. He was getting beat so bad that other players had to come back to help out, wasting another player and putting him out of position. Then he makes subs too little too late. It was a bad coached game and something I am not looking forward to in the future if he stays on. We advanced to the Quarterfinals purely on talent. Imagine what we could've done if we were well coached.

I like Maradona and like that he was a part of the team, but he needs to be an assistant coach. Too bad his head is too big to grasp this and it will never happen. He's inspring and got through to the players, but failed to use any strategy during any game.

Maradona was also biased, come on he brand up Palermo a 37 year old washed up striker. Keep in mind that striker was the one position we were heavy on. Tevez, Messi, Higuain, Milito, Aguero, did we really need 6? He couldn't have saved that spot for Zanetti or Cambiasso two of the best players in the world at their positions! Damnit man, use your freaking head!


2. I realized (although I guess I have always known) that I am very invested into Argentine football. I wake up thinking about it and read up on it during the day and go to bed still trying to absorb as much information as I can. I wish I would've played soccer at a young age so that I can get a better understanding for the sport, but didn't so I guess I'm making up for lost time.

That being said, I hardly brag about it until after the result of a game. I'm not one to guarantee a victory over a team nor bet someone on Argentina to win (unless it's a game that doesn't matter-like Greece). I'm even pretty modest about winning games, because I don't want to jinx us. I didn't brag to anyone about the Mexico vs Argentina game nor the Korea vs Argentina game... and trust me I could've. I could've been nasty.

When watching the game with random people at a cafe in Long Beach with some Germans was one of the hardest things to endure. When they cheered, I wanted to punch. When they grunted, I wanted to punch. Basically whenever they made a noise I wanted to punch. I didn't. But I was pretty pissed. I now know, that in the future I need to watch the games at home (alone or with my family) so that I can scream as loud as I want or strangle a pillow if I'm upset. It's so hard to contain yourself during something you care so much about. Ugh.

When it comes to the 49ers or UCLA I root for them like a die hard fan, but I'm willing to brag and talk crap with the next guy, but with Argentina I'm too emotionally invested. Maybe because the world cup comes every 4 years or probably because the players are Argentinean no matter what. They don't get traded to another country. Once they play for us, they are ours. We share this bond. Argentina means too much to me.

So now my Argentine brethren we must wait another 4 years to see our nation battle in Brazil. Hopefully we win a few Copa Americas in the meantime and learn to play as a team with a new coach (hopefully not an Argentine, because they are very often biased, just as Maradona showed).

They had a good tournament, but it could've gone so much better. We have potential though... lots and lots of potential.

oh btw My prediction is Spain beats Germany, but who really cares :(

No comments:

Post a Comment