Saturday, June 19, 2010

World Cup Fever

Has it struck you yet? The need/desire to wake up at 4am to watch some futbol. The world's biggest sporting event and a personal favorite of mine!

This world cup hasn't been spectacular, unless you're an Argentina fan. Besides that, games are ending 1-0, 0-0, 1-1 pretty lame, not to mention referees who take goals away for some reason (1 against USA, 1 against Mexico). Games were more fun in world cups of past, but hopefully things get more exciting once the round of 16 starts. I decided to write day by day on my predictions for the next games wins. I know this is pretty late considering we're almost done w/ the 2nd round of games of the group stages, but none the less it gets me writing about my favorite time that only comes around every 4 years. There is still one game today :

Cameroon vs Denmark
and 3 tomorrow :
Slovakia vs Paraguay
Italy vs New Zealand
Brazil vs Ivory Coast
Here are my predictions:

Cameroon vs Denmark 1-0

Both of these teams lost their 1st games so it's a must win situation going into today's game. Cameroon has Samuel Eto'o one of the star players in the world cup. He started his world cup career as one of the youngest players ever at 17 years old. He's legit, and I believe Cameroon will prevail on this game winning a boring game 1-0. Denmark, just didn't have any offense against Netherlands and looked very weak.

Slovakia vs Paraguay 0-1

Paraguay managed to shock Italy by taking the early lead and played pretty well. They were very organized and I truly believe should have beat Italy. I think they go on and win this game another boring 1-0 and improve their chances of making it out of the group. Sorry Slovakia, welcome to the world cup, but your campaign isn't going past the group stages.

Italy vs New Zealand 2-0 (the Azurri vs All Whites)

Italy has never been known for having a great offense. This is especially true when the coach jacks up and doesn't take any of his best forwards, Totti, Balotelli, Toni, not to mention them dropping the American, Rossi, from the team too. I believe New Zealand is just that weak and isn't going to be able to penetrate Italy's defense although they are nowhere near the quality they were least year. Italy will win this 2-0.



Brazil vs Ivory Coast 2-2 (Seleccao vs the Elephants)

Finally the only game that is interesting this day. This is a must watch, because Ivory Coast are full of heart and Brazil doesn't seem to be playing with one anymore. I believe Brazil will be too powerful, because like Argentina they boast the best players in the world, but Ivory Coast will challenge and create some chances that Drogba will finish. This game will end in a draw, but will be exciting as Brazil hits the post at least twice. To be honest I think Brazil will win this 3-1, but am rooting for a draw. Hopefully they don't find their form against Ivory Coast, because I like rooting for this African underdog, or should I say underelephant (they are known as the elephants)

Well those are my predictions, the main reason I am doing this is because I got a fever, and the only cure is more football. I can't wait for July 11 to come (1 because of my 9 year anniversary with Bianca, and 2 because that will be the world cup final Arg vs Brazil!)

Let's hope the soccer Gods come and give Argentina a hand (get it?).

No comments:

Post a Comment